It’s a known fact that over a period of time, we all become complacent to our surroundings. Our office is space is no different. When was the last time you actually stopped and looked around you at work? Did you notice the dust collecting around that pile of papers sitting on your desk?
What about the bits of debris on the carpet? How germ filled are the fingermarks on your keyboard, or the make-up stains on the earpiece of the telephone? Probably not for a long time! When was the last time your office space was clean? Below are few fact and figures about cleanliness in an office according to a reasearch.
- Accountants’ desks and telephones average 6,030 bacteria per square inch, and bankers 5,400 bacteria.
- A typical office worker’s hands will come into contact with 10 million bacteria a day.
- Enough skin falls off a person to fill one teacup a day.
- 31% of men and 17% of women confessed to not washing hands after going to the toilet; and 1 in 5 said they didn’t bother because their hands looked clean!
- Most offices have 400 times more bacteria than a toilet seat.
- The average computer keyboard has 7,500 bacteria; 11% of office workers never clean it.
- Viruses, like flu, can survive on hard surfaces for up to 24 hours.
- 70% of office workers eat at their desks; 1 in 5 of them don’t clean their desks before or after eating.
How much is dirt costing your company in real terms?
Ok, the above facts are a bit shocking but I bet you’re now taking a good look at your desk, telephones, keyboards and computers having read these statements! In the UK, workers lose on average 9.1 days a year due to sickness, costing the economy £29 billion. Many of these sick days can be easily avoided through cleanliness in the workspace. Just take, for example, eating at your desk; crumbs drop on to the surface and this encourages bacteria to grow. Imagine how much bacteria is going to be there the next day if you don’t clean the desk after lunch?
Around 80% of common infections are transmitted by touch
Every time you touch your telephone, your keyboard, your mouse, your nose, your eyes, another person, you are potentially transmitting germs that could lead to sickness. And we haven’t even got around to mentioning the office kitchen yet! We’ve all heard the idiom, “Cleanliness is next to godliness”, now that maybe a little perplexing, but we can’t follow Christopher Robin and Winnie the Pooh’s idea that “cleanliness is next to impossible” by throwing everything under the bed, left there to be ruled by the evil Crud!
We know you’re busy people but having a clean office shouldn’t be impossible, and it’s not. It also aids productivity and a feeling of well-being.
Here is a series of simple, easy-to-do, time effective measures that you can do regularly to help keep your office space clean and tidy.
- Grab a packet of those disinfectant wipes and clean your telephone, keyboard, computer, office mouse and desk daily.
- Keep a small bottle of hand sanitiser nearby and use regularly and wash your hands every time you’ve used the bathroom, prepared food or come into contact with anything dusty or dirty.
- Stop storing food in your desk drawer – it turns mouldy! Instead, keep food and drinks in the kitchen fridge and/or cupboards.
- Stored food in the fridge but haven’t eaten it? Throw it away! Bin anything that has been sitting there for a few days.
Should I hire a professional cleaning company?
Very definitely, yes! Who wants or has time to push the hoover round, or clean the kitchen, or empty the bins after hours? It’s time consuming and hard work! With the right tools and supplies, they are able to clean your office space efficiently, tackling any messy job without any fuss, leaving it sparkling clean – now that’s a good impression for your next visitor! Professional cleaners at Posh Cleaners will ensure that stocks of products are maintained – hand paper towels and toilet paper, for example. We don’t keep your office just clean, we keep it sparkling clean. We delve into those hard to reach places, disinfect those desks and kitchen surfaces, sanitise the bathroom, sweep away the cobwebs and dust particles, as well as banish the germs from every floor and surface, leaving you to do what you do best – your job. Any savvy business person will appreciate the value of hiring a professional cleaning company, so will your staff… and your accountant when sickness is significantly reduced!
And with the Christmas Party season underway, what better way to clean up the mess afterwards than hiring your professional cleaners to do the dirty work? You might have a hangover in the morning when you stumble into the office, but you’ll be able to enjoy a really clean office space. So contact us right now and see the transformation.